Friday, May 18, 2007

Frog-Catching Field Trip—May 17, 2007




~as told by Ian to his mom





We went out to catch frogs last night. First we went to Benson Bridge, but we couldn’t find any frogs. Dad caught a cliff swallow. He scared it out of its nest and it was flying around. He caught it when it tried to go back in its nest. He showed it to us. It had good colors. We got to pet it.












We went and looked by the river and heard some splashes. One of the splashes was a beaver and it scared us all.















Then we went to a cow pasture where we heard lots of croaking.
Dad wore waders and caught the first chorus frog. The croaking was so loud it hurt his ears. First I wasn’t so sure about getting wet, so I tried not to get wet, and then I got really wet. After a long time, Mom caught one. I caught the last frog, and Megan didn’t catch any. I snuck up and Dad shone his head lamp on the frog, and I got really close and caught it with my hands, but it was really squirmy. We put Mom’s frog and mine in the same net to watch them.


It was cool to see them croak and it looked cool to see the bubble under their mouths.





We didn’t try to take them home because Mom and Dad had tried to keep some as pets in college and they grew fungus on them and they died. They are also hard to feed because they are very tiny.


No comments: