Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Contest Winners Announced!


First, we wish to thank all of you who took the time to write in an explanation of the injuries incurred by April and Ian. They were far more entertaining than what really happened. After much discussion and deliberation, taking into account the creativity and originality of the stories, we chose the following people to receive fame and glory and a painting by Megan:


Third Place goes to: Emmy!




Second Place Tie goes to:
Andrea! and Tyler!





First Place goes to: Grandpa Young!



Megan says she will do a painting for ALL the winners. Isn't she nice? Winners may request the subject matter of their paintings in the comments section.

Now, what really happened was actually rather boring. Grandma Young guessed part of it correctly. Our family was out on a Sunday afternoon bike ride when April's foot got stuck in her toe strap when she came to a stop. Gravity pulled her over and instinctively she reached out to brace herself, landing full impact on her right arm. Fortunately, all bones were intact (she got checked at Instacare where she also received the lovely splint and bandage), however she had lots of pain, some colorful bruising, and mild swelling (to quote Erin, "Oh, your bruise is PURPLE! I like purple. It's pretty."). One week post accident April has discarded the splint and just has one of the bandages still wrapped around the wrist. Movement is still limited, grasping and lifting are still too painful, but it is healing. She would have much rather gotten the injury by bailing off the ATV while chasing bears as Becca suggested.

A day after April's accident, Ian was playing "Kick the Can" at a homeschool group activity (Oh goodness--socializing with other homeschoolers! World take note!) and chose to run through the branches of a tree in an attempt to get the can. He successfully kicked the can and won the game, but the branches scraped up his face. We cleaned up the wounds and one week post accident, Ian's face looks great with just a small spot below his eye.


5 comments:

Barbara Young said...

Well, I do believe I am entitled to one of the winner's receiving a painting since I definitely was the winner as far as be closest to what really happened. For my painting I would like a landscape with flowers, birds and water so I can bring it to work and pretend I am lying in the grass and enjoying nature.
Love, Grandma Young

Becca said...

well, glad you're okay. i assumed that both injured parties were involved in the same accident--beware of assumptions! hope you have full function of your arm again soon!

Matt and Karrie said...

Why am I not surprised that it all got blamed on Yuki, the most wonderful dog in the world (well, nearly the most wonderful--she does have some beagle competition)... And of course, she was in no way involved, in either case. We're just glad Ian didn't lose an eye from a clearly agressive tree AND here's hoping his mom gets some smaller feet!

Holladay Duplex said...

WHOO HOO!!! I was just complaining to Brad the other day about how I never win anything...and then look what life hands me.

I am thrilled to death to get a painting from Megan, because I have been a long-admirer of her artwork, even calling family members across the room to see her paintings.

So subject matter: hmmm...I don't know, artist's choice would be fine by me. Or something involving a bicycle? We like to bike, and since that was part of the actual explanation, that might be appropriate.

Jillian said...

Glad to hear you are doing better! I must say I laughed at your "home schooler's socializing" comment, as we get a lot of comments about that as well (from well meaning folks, usually) and Zach isn't even old enough to enter a school even if we wanted him to! (birthday in Sept.)