We went out to the marsh and some fields to catch large grasshoppers (2-3 inch size) for the hawk. Unfortunately, the grasshoppers flew away too fast for the children and April to snag in nets, so Kevin was left to run and swipe, run and swipe, run and swipe. He felt like a child again and wondered if there is a job available for professional bug catcher!
Horseback riding lessons continue for Megan and Ian. Flash got a bit too feisty for Megan, so she is now riding Chief.
For Activity Day, Megan's group went fishing at First Dam this week. Families were invited along, so the rest of us came as well. Another girl and her dad figured out that the trout were in the mood for worms (everyone else had been using power bait), and eventually several fish were caught. Kevin hooked a nice rainbow trout (which became part of dinner) and Ian caught a tiny little sculpin (which became part of the hawk's dinner). Megan didn't catch a fish, but she said she had a fun time.
Erin did her best to try to induce labor for her mother. She was having a fun time too, but had lost interest in fishing after a while. She then decided to start climbing on things. She had already received parental warnings to stay off the pipe pictured below. However, exercising her three-year-old agency, she climbed out on the pipe to the first cross-beam and yelled "Dad, look at me!" Dad looked (he was tying on a hook) and said "Get down NOW!" since she was far enough out that a fall might land her in the water. April looked just in time to see Erin turning towards shore and losing her balance! Erin fell, April yelled, and Kevin jumped over to the pipe in time to catch Erin dangling from the bottom of the structure. It turns out there was a concrete pad beneath her (not visible to the parents from where they were sitting) so she would not have actually gone in the water. We all had an adrenaline rush and Erin screamed "I don't feel good. I want to go home now!" Luckily the only injury was a small cut to the lip. By the time Erin stopped crying, April had finally stopped shaking too. Unfortunately, the momentary trauma did not set off labor.
1 comment:
AHHH, scary! I'm glad Erin is ok, but it would have been great if that labor would have started!!! I know how you feel, hang in there. I kept telling myself that she can't stay in there forever. I was only 2 day overdue so when I heard that my friend went 8 days overdue, I stopped complaining :) Good luck, he/she will be here soon. Keep us posted.
Jen
Post a Comment