Since many friends have been posting resolutions, we would also like to share one of ours for the upcoming year. As a family, we made a goal to declutter 1,000 items from our household. After 16 years of blissful marriage and 4 adorable children, we've managed to accumulate a lot of STUFF!

Our decluttering items include recyclables (8-10 pieces of paper count as 1 item) and garbage (not the daily diapers and kitchen waste, but rather broken items or just plain junky things) in addition to clothing, toys, games, books (gasp! I know...this one is rather difficult), etc. Thank goodness for friends, Freecycle, and thrift stores so we can pass along usable items. Besides the reward of having a clutter-free house (ultimately), we are enjoying rewards along the way.
Here is our chart for the first 100 items which we completed today! The reward is ice cream!!! (Too bad Kevin misses out since he's visiting San Jose for the next 4 days for "business.")

Our next reward comes after decluttering 250 items--taking the children out to a movie at a real theater (if there are any worthwhile movies at the time, otherwise we will rent one that they really want to see).
Wish us luck! And if any of you want to take some of our stuff, please let us know. (We're already starting to save Erin's outgrown clothing for Emmy's baby. Will Clytee store it for you?)
7 comments:
What a great idea! Since we move every ten seconds we usually don't have that much stuff, but still I'm amazed at how much stuff two people really need. Most of our stuff is wedding presents that we'll need eventually. And textbooks, so many textbooks.
What a good idea! And I love that you have rewards for the family along the way.
That is such a cool idea! I love it - keep us posted!
Great idea! Going to have to try that one...we need to purge in the craft department...we love the school aisle, Roberts, Michaels, etc...Like Jentry said...it is amazing how much only two people carry around. Good luck!
I'm going to join you. This family of five just holds on to too much!!! I think we'll stick to 500 or something--1000 seems so daunting. That & if I say 1000, Stephen can be so ruthless!
I am impressed that you are already to 100. What a worthy goal!
I sure hope she will, though she's on a decluttering kick, too. But I still maintain that a 3,000 square foot house with only two people in it should have SOMEWHERE to store a few measly baby clothes for her first granddaughter!!!! We can't wait to get them!
Post a Comment