Evening of Day 1:
Megan is practicing the piano. Ian is trying to write email messages to his friends and asking how to spell every other word. Erin is playing in the bathtub. Dallin is in his bouncer chair, but not too happy about it, during which time Mom is trying to make some dinner.
Mom enters bathroom to wash Erin and get her out so the family can eat dinner. She observes a naked 4-year-old streaking back to the tub and quickly climbing in with an extremely guilty look upon her face. "What are you doing?" Mom asks.
Silence...
A glance around the room reveals locks of wet curly hair--some lying on the floor, some in the garbage can, and some on the toilet--and the haircutting scissors lying on the counter. (Mom had given Dad a haircut before he left for his conference and the box of haircutting supplies hadn't been returned to the cabinet yet. Oops.)
Mom overreacts, takes away Erin's computer game and movie privileges for the week, and gives her a stern lecture about 4-year-olds not cutting their own hair (keep in mind it has been a LONG, HARD day as a single parent, and Mom could have used a 4-hour nap 2 hours ago). Erin ends up in tears and Mom feels like the world's worst parent. Meanwhile Megan is now holding a fussing Dallin and Ian is asking what all the commotion is about.
Mom apologizes to Erin and asks her how much hair she wanted to cut off. Erin replies, "This much," and indicates about 1/2-inch space between her fingers. Mom takes the scissors and cuts off 2 inches of the remaining hair to try to even things out, thinking how adorable Erin looked just yesterday with two braids and lamenting the fact she didn't take a photo. Megan says, "I guess I shouldn't laugh, but I think this is pretty funny."
Later, when Dad calls to say "good night," Erin tells him that he needs to come home and see her short hair. He hears the story and laughs too.
Four more days to go...Mom needs help gaining a sense of humor.
Silly Erin showing off her new haircut
6 comments:
I did the same thing when I was a kid!!! Mine was a lot shorter, though.
Oops--I was the one who left the scissors on the counter! Cute photo--that curly hair looks good long or short. Kids, just let mom nap and she will be able to laugh more.
Love, Dad in North Carolina.
I think that is a requirement for kids. Bust out the scissors and go to town! I did it and so did my sister. :) She may have a blossoming career as hair stylist for the rich and famous. :) Good luck...I hope you get a nap soon!
I think her hair looks adorable.
Love, Grandma Young
She looks so cute! Good luck these next couple of days - I overreact to things when I'm a single parent too. I'm sure you're way more in control than me, though - you're a great momma!
Don't forget to call me if/when you need help. :)
Post a Comment