Friday, September 19, 2008

Domestic Goodness

Post-partum canning projects take two or three times longer than usual this year, with frequent breaks for pumping (yes, we're having a few nursing issues which we hope will be resolved soon), feeding baby, playing with baby, changing baby's diaper, etc. Nevertheless, Megan and Ian have been wonderful assistants. They had a blast dipping the peaches in boiling water and removing the skins. Ian thought it was great that Mom trusted him with a knife and let him help cut up the fruit. Unfortunately we lack photos of the production process since we're usually very sticky while working and therefore haven't taken out the camera. Here are some of the finished products: bottled peaches and pears, peach jam, peach fruit leather, and dried pears.




We try to get the bulk of the work done during Dallin's nap times. He is so thrilled that we are putting away food storage that will serve as his baby food in 6 more months. Here he is napping in his Amby hammock, courtesy of Grandma & Grandpa. We have it set up in the living room so he is close by.


2 comments:

Megan D. said...

You are so great and crafty. The peaches look delicious! I need you to teach me how to can and preserve. :) That would be so fun. Dallin is just a doll. He looks like your other kids I think. Tom goes to this really cool little spot on the Weber..I can't really explain where it is, but he would be able to for sure. I will try and remember to ask him about it. He is in Portland right now on a boys trip. So rude. :) Good luck with all the babying!

Jillian said...

So, about this Amby, do you like it? We usually co-sleep, but I'd wondered if I'd get more sleep with something like that. Payge likes to kick in her sleep, so I frequently make her "move out".

I am amazed that you are up & canning already. You must be wonder woman.