Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Biology Lesson of the Day: Ecdysis


Our tarantula molted. How cool is that?



Yesterday Ian was in tears because he thought our tarantula had died. He discovered her lying upside down in her cage. It's been a couple years since she last shed, so he had forgotten that was part of the process. It is truly amazing--the exoskeleton completely separates and a gorgeous fuzzy arachnid crawls out. We carefully removed the shed skin from the cage this morning and hope to be able to preserve it in a nice shadowbox frame.

3 comments:

Amanda Fetters said...

I'll just say I'm glad you hadn't thought of the shadowbox thing when we were house sitting.

Kevin at Snow College said...

I was thinking "great idea" when you mentioned the shadow box--then I read Amanda's comment and was reminded that we live in our own strange, happy world.

ChrisG said...

My sister (Janet) would probably not even set foot in your house if she knew there was a tarantula in there -- or even just a skin in a shadow box!